Friday, August 15, 2008

A Hasty Heart

Tonight I went to see a play called 'The Hasty Heart.' I was given two tickets and found out last night that one of my good friends loved theater and so I called her up to ask her to go with me. She agreed and we went out. However I felt so awkward. I wanted it to be a date, but I didn't. I don't think it was a date, but maybe it was. It was just two friends going to see a play and I think she only had that in mind. But do I have unexpressed feelings for her? I thought I did, but it's hard to know. I'm not really good with the whole dating thing.

The play was called 'The Hasty Heart' and the theme was 'Sorrow is born from a hasty heart.' -meaning, when we are hasty with our love we may give rise to sorrow. The antagonist was a cold, prideful soldier who was about to die from liver failure, only he didn't know this until the end of the play. Meanwhile everyone else in the medical ward knew of his imminent demise and tried to befriend him and making him feel as comfortable and loved as possible. It took him most of the play to warm up and accept their friendship but when he discovered the truth he felt betrayed and more alone forever, hence he felt like he was hasty in giving his heart and now bore unbearable sorrow. I feel like I've often been in this position where trust is shared and then abused. But it reminded me how great it is for that while you do love and are loved. To feel a sense of belonging and love; to be with others. I don't quite remember where I was going with all of this, but it was a meaningful and moving play. It really made me think and that is one of my favorite aspects of live theater. It can present issues and make you feel and think things you may never have experienced or understood so clearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home